| Party favor from the R.S. party |
| ALL the presents. |
Well, I had a pretty good first week here in Folsom! This is the first time I've been over two wards, so that is an adjustment. It is so hard to keep track of who is in which ward and which ward we are in! The area is huge. We can't really bike hardly at all because it is huge and very hilly. That makes me super sad. Biking makes me feel so productive and awesome! Though when it is raining I am very grateful to have a car. I also haven't figured out anywhere to run yet. I can't run around where we live because it is too hilly. I'm so sad, I was finally getting in a good habit of running. :/ Anyway, we live with some members. Well actually we live on their property in a studio apartment above their garage. It's pretty nice aside from the fact we have to walk downstairs and to a different building to use the kitchen. I'm just sticking to cold food and we are very blessed to have dinners set up all the time so I still get nice dinners. I'm so spoiled. Anyway this area is VERY affluent. The people are awesome though. SO friendly and nice. My companion, Sister Erickson, is from Sandy, Utah. She is 29, has been out 8 months and is a convert. She is really nice, super goofy, and we are getting along great. She has a terrible memory though so I get to work on my memory skills haha.
We went to a Relief Society Christmas dinner this week. It was super fancy. I felt like I stepped into serious high society. They all have large enough homes they use their homes for these activities instead of the church. It looked like a wedding reception. I saw some little yellow Christmas trees on the table and wondered why they were yellow. Turned out they were butter. The house was 10,000 sq.
feet. It was super pretty. Also everyone here is gorgeous, skinny, and has perfect hair. I kind of felt like I was in a movie at first but I'm getting used to it.
We talked to a guy named Ed that was really cool. I guess he used to meet with the missionaries. I noticed a cool painting hanging above his stairs and asked about it. It's a Christensen painting. I can't
remember the first name of the artist but he is LDS and I really like his style. It's...I would say whimsical. Anyway the painting is of the woman with the issue of blood that was healed by touching Christ's robes. I guess that painting is the reason he decided to talk to the Elders in the first place, because the Elder recognized the painting and told him it was done by a Mormon. Interesting how things play out. He was really nice, not necessarily that interested but I think we'll go back and see more where his interest is.
We also had a lesson with a woman named Billur. It was a set appointment already when I got here. The sisters before I got here went to Thanksgiving at a non members house and Billur asked to learn
more about our church. Our appointment with her went SO well. She is amazing. It was the hugest miracle, I could've just cried and cried. She is from Turkey and was introduced to Christianity because her father's work brought him to the United States and he became Christian. They studied the Bible and developed their faith in God at home but didn't participate in a religious group. She has been feeling she would like more structure in her religious observance and that is why she asked to meet with us. She ate up everything. She has a very strong faith in Christ and knows how to receive answers to prayers. She is so open and willing to learn. She is excited to read the Book of Mormon and wants to come to church. Honestly she is probably the most prepared person I have met on my mission. Unfortunately she is very very busy because she is a pediatrician and is picking up extra shifts since people want off for the holidays so we haven't heard much from her yet. Hopefully soon!
We have been sharing the initiative video with all our members. In one of the lessons the conversation that came up brought a scripture to mind. 2 Nephi 2:8, "Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah, who layeth down his life according to the flesh, and taketh it again by the power of the Spirit, that he may bring to pass the resurrection of the dead, being the first that should rise." How great the importance to make these things known!
We also did a lot of service this week. Maybe a little too much. All I want to do is talk to everyone! Ha, it's hard here to find people to talk to without biking. Not too many people out and about to contact. It's really bumming me out because I have important things to share! Any suggestions to find people to talk to welcome. Just be aware that a lot of public places we aren't really allowed to proselyte. Anyway we did service raking leaves for an elderly couple. That was fun. We also volunteered at a snack shack for a basketball tournament. Lots of people! That was a pretty cool service opportunity.
We also attended a fancy Christmas dinner for one of the wards. They had fine china and 5 Christmas trees. We had a fun time getting to know the members we were sitting with. We had to leave before they did the program but we heard it was really spiritual and wonderful and some of the non members there started asking questions. How cool! Even though we weren't there, the members that brought them answered all their questions really well and testified of the Savior. Awesome. The people here are amazing.
On Sunday we go to both wards, so lots of church plus ward council. I was getting jittery by the end. Silva Valley ward council was amazing though. I think I found the promised land. The whole meeting was actually a council (everyone discussing together what can be done) and focused on helping those in the ward and increasing the spirit in our church meetings. Then we went in early for their Sacrament meeting and it was so reverent. The testimonies were so great and the youth are amazing. It's seriously such a great ward. I was also asked to bear my testimony in both wards. Each time called from the pulpit with no advance notice haha. It was good though.
We also got to watch the Christmas devotional which was great!
Today for p-day we went to Old Folsom which was really fun. Then the usual grocery shopping, zone sports etc. Sister Erickson's family sent her a giant box of presents, one for each day of December preceding Christmas. Many of them have two, one for me and one for her. It's been really fun. We have a little Christmas tree with some ornaments, stockings, red nail polish, some candy, and this morning we opened matching Santa hats. Every morning a party! Love you all!
Sister Robinson

0 comments:
Post a Comment