Pretty good week this week! I've learned a lot. We finally added an investigator this week. She is really cool but not really that interested. She canceled her appointment last minute. But we're going to keep trying! We went and visited a lady who is not active because she's old, but she has a five year old adopted son. He's so cute! Poor kid seriously needs some attention and things to keep him busy. He's got a lot of energy and she does not, being that she is 87. Craziness. She used to have a lot of foster kids so the foster people called and asked her to adopt him. Anyway it was a fun visit. She's funny. She is a convert, and she was good friends with Martin Luther King. She was there for all the marches and everything. Dee Garrett if anyone wants to verify :) there's a picture of her on page 107 of the May 2010 Ensign.
One of our members renamed us this week. Apparently she has a thing for renaming people. It started as a joke because she would call people the wrong names and then she started just renaming missionaries based on the name she things they look like. My new name is Erin. She's so funny, I just love her.
We had an awesome district meeting on gratitude. Then we read the talk, "grateful in any circumstance" by president uchtdorf. I love that talk, and it was a good chance to ponder on my attitude and my ability to be grateful even in times that are more challenging. Below are all my favorite parts :) I know it looks like I copied the whole talk but I actually didn't. I just wanted to share what I learned!
"Gratitude is a catalyst to all Christlike attributes!
Being grateful in our circumstances is an act of faith in God. It requires that we trust God and hope for things we may not see but which are true. By being grateful, we follow the example of our beloved Savior, who said, "Not my will, but thine, be done."
True gratitude is an expression of hope and testimony. It comes from acknowledging that we do not always understand the trials of life but trusting that one day we will. Being grateful in times of distress does not mean that we are pleased with our circumstances. It does mean that through the eyes of faith we look beyond our present-day challenges. We sometimes think that being grateful is what we do after our problems are solved, but how terribly shortsighted that is. How much of life do we miss by waiting to see the rainbow before thanking God that there is rain? When we are grateful to God in our circumstances, we can experience gentle peace in the midst of tribulation. In grief, we can still lift up our hearts in praise. In pain, we can glory in Christ's Atonement. In the cold of bitter sorrow, we can experience the closeness and warmth of heaven's embrace.
Could I suggest that we see gratitude as a disposition, a way of life that stands independent of our current situation? In other words, I'm suggesting that instead of being thankful for things, we focus on being thankful in our circumstances--whatever they may be.
Our loving Heavenly Father knows that choosing to develop a spirit of gratitude will bring us true joy and great happiness."
So I am working on having a disposition of gratitude. The gospel is the best. What else do we need?
On Sunday we made dinner for a returning less active. We used a recipe from a member in El Dorado. She loved it! And we're trying to get her preparing for the temple. We're taking her on a temple tour this Saturday. Also...it's already transfer time! Crazy. So I won't write until Tuesday next week. Love you all!
0 comments:
Post a Comment