Well this week has essentially been defined by the horrible head cold that began setting in Tuesday night. It is definitely the worst illness I have had on my mission and it ruined my record. Until Friday I had never stayed home an entire day of my mission. I almost made it the whole way never staying home a whole day but this one got me. However, Friday was the worst day and I am somewhat improved since then. I still have a seal bark cough and I can only occasionally breathe through my nose but I can now taste my food so things are improving.
On Tuesday we had a sister come out with us that is leaving for her mission to New Zealand soon. We went to try Nicole (our referral that has been hit and miss) and she wasn't home. Then we saw a guy walking his dogs and contacted him. We were asking about his dogs (two chocolate labs) and then asked if he had ever met missionaries before. He said (and this is slightly edited), "No thanks guys, I am way too into drugs, women, and rock n' roll." I laughed out loud right then and there. I'm not really sure that was the appropriate response but I just couldn't help it. I don't know why it was so funny to me. I haven't had a good story like that in a while, the people in El Dorado Hills are just too normal! Haha. It was a good reminder of how weird people can be.
Speaking of Nicole, she is now finally an investigator! We met with her a couple of times this week and she has agreed to continue meeting with us. The first time we finally actually caught her at home was Wednesday and she wouldn't let us in but she talked to us on the doorstep for a while. She was talking about how her head injuries make it hard for her, she gets worn out quickly and feels overwhelmed and anxious. I told her that I feel anxious too, at times, and that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are the source of peace and comfort. Then we shared with her 2 Nephi 2:2. One of my favorites. Sister Erickson went back twice without me, I didn't want to kill her with my germs so our sister training leaders switched with us. One babysat me while the other went to the appointment with Nicole. Both times it was a very brief visit with her, so I didn't miss a ton. We have an appointment with her this week on Wednesday so hopefully we will get to teach a real lesson. She is willing to come to church so we are very excited for her to come.
Sunday was Ward conference, so the Stake President spoke. He told a great analogy of bicycle riding. He loves riding bicycles, but what he has noticed is that when you use the least energy is when you are coasting. You can only coast when you are going downhill, even if it is only a little bit downhill. We cannot spiritually "coast." We have to be working hard, and putting in conscious effort to progress
and climb upward. If we are just going along, we are going downhill. He encouraged us to consider in what ways we are spiritually "coasting." It was such a great talk. I felt inspired to consider in what ways I am coasting in my missionary work. It is easy to get in a routine and just keep going along in that routine. It requires conscious effort to continue growing and improving. In that vein I have a challenge to extend. Yep, another one. I am recycling what this stake president challenged everyone in the Folsom stake to do. Read through the Book of Mormon from beginning to end, looking for
something specific. Choose a topic you would like to learn more about and look for that throughout the whole thing. Some examples are: Faith, commandments, promises/prophecies fulfilled, hope. Or, study with a question in mind that you would like to have answered. As you are searching for whatever you have chosen, take some time to jot down on paper the things that are especially meaningful to you that you have learned. When you have finished reading it, put together a simple summary of the notes you took and the things you have learned. I'd love to hear the things that come to you, I know this is inspired and a way to study the scriptures that invites personal revelation and
growth. I love you all! Happy February!
Sister Robinson
01 February 2016
The Head Cold from Hades
Posted by Raree (RAH-ree) at 3:48 PM
Labels: Sister Charity Robinson
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment