Established August 1970

13 April 2015

Dallin H. Oaks!

Hey guys!

So basically, Dallin H. Oaks is coming to Chile! I don't know if I'll actually see him or if it will just be broadcast from Santiago, but this Saturday we will listen to him speak and I'm honestly so pumped. He still looks and talks and teaches like a lawyer, right? It's like, you know that your argument's lost already when he starts speaking. There was a quote I read the other day... I think it's from Thomas S. Monson. It says that the wisdom of God often appears as foolishness to man, but when God speaks and a man obeys, that man will always be right. Or somewhere around there. It's good stuff.

Also, crazy things happened this week. Someone sent me a portion of a talk about teaching in the Savior's way, and I really strived this week, and studied to try to be a better teacher, because I'm honestly not that great; when the Spirit's there, it works, but it could work even better, right? If I'm more prepared. And the mission president said that the difference between missionaries that have success and missionaries that don't is their bravery to say the things that other people don't want to. Christ always taught and rebuked with love and surety, and so this week my companion and I were really focusing on that. And crazy stuff went down because of the grace of God and the love He has for his children. So here's the long story made short...

On Wednesday we went to an investigator's house, I haven't talked about her before because she is what is called an "eternal" investigator. An investigator is eternal if they want to get baptized, but they are doing something that makes it so they can't, and they aren't willing to go to church, but usually they go to church most Sundays. Her name is Nancy. And she couldn't get baptized like she wanted to because she was living with a man that was not her husband. He was abusive, and an alcoholic, but she stayed with him, because she knew what it was like to grow up without a dad. So this Wednesday we went with the plan to leave her committed to either leave the house, or get married (well, that was before we knew the guy was abusive). When we got there, she was crying, with the two kids that are left at home, a 16-year-old girl (who was baptized) and a young boy, and her mother, who is old and a little crazy. She quickly told us what had happened and we prayed with her and left her with the commitment to pray for the courage to leave her house with her kids and mom. She had told us that she had the money and a house chosen, but she was obviously scared. Heavenly Father was definitely watching over them. Friday night they left the house with all their stuff and we helped them move in with the time that we had, and the next day we all went to help them move. (In the version that isn't for the kids the guy came to their new house with a huge knife that same night, to do who knows what, but the other daughter with her husband were there and he still pushed them around and threatened them with the knife, but nothing more happened, but now Nancy is talking with the police and everything is sorted out... basically) This Sunday they all went to church and they're receiving lots of love and support from the relief society (I honestly don't know what we would do without the Relief Society). And she can get baptized like she has wanted to for so long. But that will have to be in a couple of weeks, because of mission rules. And I think it's better that way as well. 

But on Sunday we went to visit them and we were talking to the sixteen year-old daughter, and the topic of marriage came up, and she said that besides the Elders, men just bring trouble. Thankfully a sister was with us to testify that she's married to one and he brings her the greatest joy. But it just made me so grateful that I was born to faithful parents, faithful to each other and to God. And that I have brothers and sisters that are married happily and living in righteousness. I have so many examples to look to for the kind of family that I want. I felt so much pain for that girl and for the little boy, that are going to have difficulties trusting in their marriage in all of their lives. Please pray for this family so that the pattern of righteous living can start with them, and we know that it will be a blessing for them for generations and generations. As it says in the scriptures, when we put the kingdom of God first, He blesses us with riches and everything we need, as long as we are seeking after it to build our families and those that are in need. 

I love you all, and I know that when one person decides to start the pattern of righteous living, it will bless all of those around them. And their families will be blessed with the blessings of the everlasting gospel. It's so simple, and it never fails. I know it's true. And I know that I have been blessed with an amazing family, filled with testimonies of Him. 

Have an amazing week! Much love!

Elder Robinson


NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

0 comments: