Established August 1970

06 April 2015

April 5

Easter week here in the Philippines was really different. The Philippines is mostly a Christian nation and so Easter week is observed. Most stores and businesses were closed on Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and then most were opened on Black Saturday and opened also on Easter Sunday. I have not seen so little traffic ,on any day,  as we had on Thursday and Friday. It was so quiet that we wondered where every one had gone. We understood that people were just home with their families and having quiet time. On Good Friday There were some quiet celebrations and some parades. Some areas have a mock crucifixion and some areas actually have a real person nailed to a cross. What surprised me was that they don’t seem to elaborate the Resurrection. Even in our ward we did not sing any traditional Easter hymns. I was somewhat disappointed but it was Fast Sunday and so no talks were assigned. We were told that people do not do much in their homes like have a special easter dinner or Easter Egg hunts. It is pretty much like any other Sunday. We never did much in our home with traditional Easter activities but we did create our own celebrations.
It was interesting to me to have so much attention given to the events leading to the death of our Savior and not much attention to his resurrection. I don’t want to sound critical and it is commendable that they revere this event so highly, but I do wonder if they really know about our Savior’s atonement and that he willingly have up his life and then was resurrected and made it possible for all of us to be resurrected. I am thankful for the restored gospel and for additional scriptures and for living prophets that help us understand our Heavenly Father’s Plan of Salvation. It is good that missionaries all over the world have the opportunity to introduce the people of the earth to their Father in Heaven and his son and our savior Jesus Christ.
I love you all. Dad

0 comments: