Haha. That's a good question. And one that all the Chileans ask if it ever comes up. haha. But you'll just have to all eat some for me! woo hoo! Thanksgiving by proxy. Or perhaps vicariously eating, haha. That could be irreverent. Oh well. Hurray for sins of ignorance. This week was so much fun. And it's my companion's birthday today! Thanks goodness it was on p day so we could party a ton! But anyway...
Hey guys!
How is everyone doing? I heard that the earth's supply of chocolate is gonna run out by 2020. But I've chosen not to believe it. Who knows, though. And I heard Bill Cosby got accused for something unfortunate. So that's too bad that they want to ruin my childhood and trust in funny, nice, black comedians. Also, since they don't have Thanksgiving here I have already started giving out Christmas presents. It's really fun. The idea was Mom's. But I had to translate it into Spanish. So that was a fun challenge. And we play the guitar and I sing a Christmas song to them when we gift it. They love it. And one lady in our ward is making us these sick sweaters to look like the Chilean flag. So you can look forward to that pic.
Also, all the missionaries are way excited here because we heard that there was gonna be an announcement from 'the church' of something new for the missions to do for Christmas. So our imaginations run wild, of course. There's talk of the church taking over the U.S. government for Christmas. Haha. I guess we'll just have to see...
As far as investigators go we don't really have any new ones, but the ones we have are progressing and we're finally getting some good friends for them all in the ward and their baptism dates are all coming up here, soon. Pray for them. Satan tries so hard to get them at this time. When they're open and susceptible to all sorts of random garbage that people say about the church. But luckily, it's the church of God, and it can never again be taken from the earth. Thank goodness for that.
I never before thought about the fun that I would have on the mission. Literally every part of it is so fun! It's amazing how fulfilling it is. Like, don't get me wrong... there are some rough times. But they're so short and small in comparison with the good things that happen. haha. Speaking of which, I got attacked by so many dogs this week. I don't know what it was. But they really wanted to get a taste of this hunk. But they didn't. I won. Sometimes by running with my companion as fast as possible. And once because right as one was about to bite my leg my companion just booted it in the face. We had to repent for that a little later, but at least I don't have to get shots. And.... you're gonna think this is really sad. But the dogs here are all so beaten and traumatized that all you have to do to get them to leave you alone is bend down like you're picking up a rock. And even the biggest St. Bernard runs away super fast. But it's a law here that you can't kill them. So people just kick them and beat them until they're mean and hurt and scared. It's pretty sad. So we try to just be nice to them and love them. They'll be saved in cute puppy heaven. But enough with the hippie save the dogs stuff.
The biggest thing I learned this week was really obvious. But really profound and true. And more so because of it's simplicity. But I realized that the blessings that come to us are a direct result of our obedience. And there are many promises in the scriptures about that. There is a law, formed before the foundation of the world... I don't remember exactly how it goes because I only know it in Spanish. But something about that the blessings we receive are a direct result to the law upon which it is predicated. And it's so true. But what can be learned more is the degree of your personal obedience. And that's when it really is cool, because only you and God know how dedicated you are to obedience. It's the same as the pharisees and sadducees.They knew the commandments, and even made up some new ones. But they weren't really obedient. They were keeping the commandments to be seen by other men and to take advantage of the more humble people. True obedience starts with a love of the Savior and therefore a love for his counsel and commandments. And then you're well on your path to salvation, and to happiness. It's so cool. Because when you do that your mere presence will uplift and edify the people you interact with. How would that be? To have people just love having you around because they love how they feel when you're there. And what they feel is the Savor's love, through you. I can think of no greater honor.
Also, just some food for thought. The temple here was announced in 2009. It's been announced that they were really gonna start it at least 5 times since then, and still there's nothing. It's been announced to start again in the spring of 2015. But now it's kind of a joke among the missionaries. And the cause of much discussion among the members. What more do we need to do? Are we not ready? Did we do something wrong? and all sorts of questions like these. But you should also know that the potential in my ward right now here is 1,000 members. And that's fairly typical. But the attendance (which has gone up by about 20 and rising since we've arrived) is about 110. Talk about plenty of less active people to work with. But the thing is, that there were so many people baptized all at once and not enough priesthood to keep track of it all. And now there's plenty of leadership, or sufficient, but not enough active members. And the people that were baptized already forgot the church and have joined another one to find the friendship and help they needed. It is sad. And a work to do. But it's rewarding to help the less active people come back to church. It's interesting to see the dynamics here, and I could talk about it for a really long time. But that's all I'll say. You can send me your thoughts. I'm not looking for anything. I just thought it was interesting and possible profundity and edification to be found in it.
Much love to you all! Have an amazing week! It's almost Christmas! ;)
Elder Robinson
El Regalon
0 comments:
Post a Comment