Established August 1970

09 November 2014

New week November 3-11

November 2 was fast Sunday and we were back in Mandurreao Ward where our bungalow resides in the boundaries.  The Bishop spoke with us about callings.  They don't really need us. But I'm sure they always like to use the missionaries but we were given specific instructions not to take ward callings but we told him we could sometimes work on projects.  We do visit people with the missionaries but I think we keep getting busier with self reliance and then just a little for the mission president, like apartment checks.  The other three couples in our mission are Mel's (member/leadership support) so it is confusing for everyone what we do because we travel from ward to ward speaking, except on fast Sundays when we get to attend Mandurreao Ward. 
Each day we get up around 5:30 and exercise, shower, then on Mondays sometimes is preparation day and we do the wash, clean a section of tile in the cr(comfort room), and today I washed the light switches, and dad has to fill the water tank.  After that this week we went to the mission office.  It was busy with training for new trainers etc.  We picked up our zone leaders and their suitcases, they are going home.  We were amazed at how down we were to have them leaving.  Then we took them to the mission office and checked our emails and sent some and then we went to the Center, the other church building and began scheduling our sacrament visits.  We will focus mostly on North Stake, we hope since we spoke in stake conference today in Iloilo Stake.
Tuesday we had to miss our district meeting to teach the outgoing missionaries career development.  It takes about 3-4 hours.  Sister Cagape brought empanadas  for pamahow(snack) during the 5 minute break.  She is my age, has 8 children and is an amazing business woman, very self reliant.  I think her husband died only three years ago.  She knew something I didn't.  She has started businesses for most of her children so they could stay on the island and still provide for their families.  One of her sons is in the stake presidency, he runs the chicken farm, her son in law is the Bishop and he is an engineer...I cannot remember the rest except two daughters are in the states and she is working to fix that.  She is amazing! And so are they!
Back to the career workshop, I talked about resumes and dad talked about interviewing.  He was wonderful!  He told about how we had always paid a full tithing and fast offerings and that when we had not been married very long and I was expecting our first child, he was fired from his job.  He was quite upset and even went back to talk with them about why?  He was told that the owner wanted to cut back on personnel, and he was the last one hired so he was the first to go.  It had nothing to do with the job he performed.  Anyway, in less than 24 hours, he had another job that was better, after a sincere plea to His Father in Heaven.  It was wonderful.
After that, we taught our English class.
Wednesday I made pan bread in preparation for our English class tomorrow. We did a little shopping so we had enough eggs and some green coloring.  I couldn't find spinach here which is how I usually make them green.  I guess it is too hot here to grow and they don't eat canned, I'm sure you all can figure that one out:). We also turned in the apartment checks to the mission president.  There are some apartments that need fans and some that need CO detectors and one that needs a new seal around the refrigerator door.  And ours wants a water cleaner for the kitchen for washing hands and dishes.  We also got to talk to Charity after she was set apart.  I was actually amazed how the Lord answers our heartfelt prayer that she would be set apart by our stake president.  He was a mission president and he is wonderful so we felt heard by our Father in Heaven.  He really does answer even the smallest desires of our hearts.  Of course our Wednesday was Charity's Tuesday.
Thursday was the English class.
I was Sam and Dad was the one who refused to eat green eggs and ham.  It was very fun and then we served them green eggs and ham and pan bread that April had given me sometime ago without yeast.  One of them wanted the recipe for the bread.  It was fun.  After we met with a man who is considering bringing a business to Iloilo and we listened to his presentation.  He is a church member from another island and he actually works for a Jewish man from New York.  It was interesting.
Friday we did some more wash and worked on our talks.
Saturday was stake conference and we both spoke for 15 minutes.  And before we went we stopped to make an appointment to visit a 92 year old widowed mother of eleven children.  We will visit her on Tuesday afternoon this coming week.
Sunday when we walked into church a young sister shook my hand and said, "I am standing as a witness", referring to my talk of the day before.  That made me feel good that the talk maybe took hold a little.  If we just DO what we preach, we can receive the Lords blessings in abundance and become what He knows and wants us to be...like Him...even as I am, He said. Ray sang with the choir in conference and then we hurried to Roxas for the My Path roll out.  There were at least 50 people who came.  Now it is up to them to study and act upon the instructions.
Sent from my iPad

0 comments: