Family and friends!
Ok so after a beautiful morning of saying goodbye to the family, the Perry's dropped me off at the MTC. I was doing so good not crying until the kids all started singing the missionary song to me and then I lost it. But my host sister was so nice about it and helped me get going. Picking up all the orientation things like my tag and everything was a total whirlwind. Then I went straight to class. We jumped right into sharing scriptures about Christ and simple as that sounds I was just so disoriented that it was a bit overwhelming. Then I met my companion, Sister Sapoi. She is Tongan and from Texas. It's her second time at the MTC because the first time she went home because she was homesick. More on that later. It was crazy walking places with her because apparently all Polynesians are family so they stop each other to say hi. So they are actually total strangers and they just walk up and say, "Hey, you a Poly?" And then they talk about what flavor of Polynesian they are (Samoan, Tongan, etc.). It is pretty funny but also a little awkward because I am 100% excluded from those conversations.
p.s. Sorry Rachael I don't have the blog address with me right now. Left it in the residence but I'll do better next time!
Oh there is just so much to tell! Every minute is full of revelatory experiences and I just don't know how to get it all in!
The first couple of days were overwhelming to me because there is just so much to learn and I want so badly to be a really great missionary so I was just trying to remember everything and apply everything and it is honestly just too much all at once. I've been learning how to be easier on myself and take it a step at a time and just do the best I can. What is funny is that as hard as I thought the first few days were (although I was doing well and not breaking down crying or anything) it was just a stretch. I have now learned what hard is. And I'm pretty sure I will keep adjusting my definition of hard as things get harder.
About the third day my district started getting really close. There are four sisters. Me, Sister Sapoi, Sister Pope, and Sister Johnson. Once we were assigned a district leader (Elder Tapusoa, who is Samoan) things really took off. It was amazing to me to see what good leadership can do. Elder Tapusoa started having us sit at lunch with elders between sister companionships so we got to know each other better. Once we were all comfortable together things really took off as far as our class discussions and everything. It also got a lot harder to focus haha. Anyway I have definitely come to understand better how Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love us because I feel I have been granted a portion of that ability to love people as Heavenly Father loves them. I know I never could have come to love my district this much without that. But they really are just great people.
Since Sister Sapoi had gone home once before I've been praying really hard to be aware of her and her needs so that I could help support her and keep her doing well so that she would succeed and make it out into the field. Well on Sunday we pretty much had the most spiritual day ever. I honestly couldn't even contain how strong I was feeling the spirit and I was just crying all day. We had this amazing Relief Society meeting. Sister...somebody spoke. The Young Women's General President. Sister Oscarson? Something like that. Anyway I wish I had a copy of her talk because it was awesome and so helpful and inspiring. Then our Sacrament Meeting with our Zone was incredible. Sister Johnson sang "Oh Lord, My Redeemer" and it was just beautiful and she broke down crying in the middle of it and the spirit was so strong and everyone (Even the Elders!) cried. And then our branch President, President Boone spoke and I can't remember anything he said but it was honestly just super great. I wish I could remember but I was crying too much to take notes. After the meeting Sister Sapoi wanted to talk to President Boone so I waited while she talked to him. She came back and we were having class time and then she said she wanted to go talk. So she and I went out in the hall and she told me she was struggling and that she was supposed to go talk to the District President. So we went to the front desk and she called to talk to the District President. Anyway long story short it wasn't too long before I could tell she was trying to go home. But at that point I didn't have an opportunity to talk to her. President Boone came down to the office and we talked some and I was bawling because I felt so guilty that she was probably going to leave again and I hadn't done anything. He was really nice about it and told me there was nothing I could do. Lots of details I have to skip but eventually he just sent me to go with the other sisters in the district. And Sister Sapoi just never came back. Her stuff is still here but she isn't. Last we heard she was with her dad that lives in Utah somewhere. No one will tell us anything. So I struggled with losing my companion for a while. And now I am in a tripanionship with Sister Pope and Sister Johnson. President Boone said some really really nice things to me though and that made me feel good. Something about me being great and him being proud of me and wishing he had three more of me. I guess he thought I handled things well.
So it was a struggle dealing with her leaving, but then getting into this trio has been even harder! I never expected that because I've been really liking the other sisters but Sister Pope has been frustrated with me I think. Anyway we had some seriously terrible role plays and lessons with investigators because we just did not have the spirit in our lessons and it was SO depressing. I wish I could explain all the thoughts and feelings I've been having. But I have been trying so hard to have a good attitude about it and see what I can do to fix it and everything but it has been hard because I just don't want to waste time dealing with companionship drama. But I have had the best advice and help from my teachers. They are so amazing and have really taught us to our needs which has been such an example to me of how I need to teach. We finally had companionship inventory last night and I think that helped. Not sure it is completely fixed because I'm not sure that Sister Pope completely opened up about what is bothering her but at least somewhat I know how to help her now. But during the devotional last night I was reminded of what one of my teachers asked me when Sister Sapoi left. "How is the Lord strengthening you?" As that thought came to me it changed my perspective so much because it helped me look at the many ways that the Lord is helping me through all this and stop focusing on what is hard and what I'm worried about. And at the end we all sang Love One Another and I started crying because I knew that I just needed to love Sister Pope. I already knew that but it just brought it to my heart I guess.
So things are going better and I really am grateful actually for these things happening here because it is giving me a chance to learn how to deal with problems while I have teachers to help me and the resources to learn so that I am more prepared for what is to come. I have been blessed and taught so much and I am so happy! I wish I could just share every detail of everything but this email is way too long already. I love you all and I feel I am really being converted unto Christ and I am so excited to share this with everyone! If you weren't all so amazing already I would be trying to convert you because I am just so desperate for everyone to understand the character of Christ as I am coming to. Speaking of, on Sunday we watched this talk Elder Bednar gave at the MTC called the Character of Christ. It was seriously so amazing. I don't know if it is available for you all to watch but check because everyone should watch it!
I love being Sister Robinson. Thank you to all you other beautiful Sister Robinson's out there and previous Sister Robinson's that make me feel the name is special. I love wearing that name on my heart along with the name of the Savior. Love you all!
Sister Robinson
Oh also I won't be able to write next week I'm thinking because I am traveling on the 18th which is before the next P day!
0 comments:
Post a Comment