Hey guys!
Today we went to the hospital and sang to
the people there. It was so fun. I thought no one was even gonna pay
attention. But there were a lot of people that stopped to listen and
even several who took out their phones and recorded us. I mean, to be
honest, we didn't sound very good. But the nice thing is that Chileans
don't even know! Haha. Because they just don't focus very much on
singing here. :) And everyone here thinks that if you're from Utah you
can sing well. So that's funny. haha. But it's true. And I think it's
true because at least once a week we get together and sing at least
three good songs. Yet another blessing from being in the church.
Also
we had a yummy asado today (that's a barbecue) and played soccer. With
the Christmas present that I bought with the Christmas money that mom
and dad gave me! Some sick 'Messi' indoor cleats and a baby soccer ball
(baby just means it's more durable and therefore better to use on cement
baby courts which every church has here) so that was a blast. Also mom
and dad sent me a package of some place in Santiago which was cool and
delicious. It was food and chocolate and delicious Philadelphia cream
cheese. Don't take good cream cheese for granted. I did. But now I know
better. There really is a difference between good quality cream cheese
and other lame boring bland cream cheese. But they have enough spices
here (aji) that it doesn't matter what the cream cheese is like because
if you put aji on that's all you can taste. :) haha. But it's actually
pretty good.
And last P-day was just incredibly
amazing. And since I didn't write about it last week I will this week.
Because it was sweet. So basically we woke up way early and went to
desembocadura (which is where the river Bio-Bio meets the ocean); it was
beautiful. Picture of that found below. And there was a sick Pirate's
cave! (picture of that too) And we found the rocks that we needed to
start a fire! But we didn't. But we did get the sparks. So we're
basically self-sufficient now. Haha. And then we went to Chillan which
is about an hour and a half away (everyone calls it the promised land of
the mission). It's really pretty there and it's the best place to buy
souvenirs to take home. And since my comp goes next Monday
we got to go. President let's all the missionaries go to Chillan
their last cambio (transfer) so it was basically a blast. And I got a
sick chile selction jersey there. The white ones they used for the away
games during the world cup. If you're into that kind of thing. If you're
not, get into it. Soccer honestly might be the funnest sport to play
unprofessionally.
Also last week a less active
guy we've been visiting gifted us a real Christmas tree to put in our
apartment. Apparently it's illegal to cut them here now. But we just
decided not to ask him how he got it. Also I eat oatmeal for breakfast
almost every single day now. So that's pretty messed up. But it turns
out it's really good with a lot of sugar and peanut butter and jelly.
Like really, really good. haha. Anyway...
So
what happened with Dubal is that he didn't get baptized. Rayen didn't
either. Rayen won't because she's afraid she'll go inactive sometime.
So... we're working on that. Dubal wants to and felt ready and we had
the interview and everything and then... he didn't pass. He hadn't told
us but it turns out that he's against tithing. Haha. Can you believe
that? A 14-year-old boy not wanting to pay tithing. Sounds strange but
wait... it gets even better. He doesn't agree with it because of a verse
he read in the Bible. I don't really remember where it is. But it's the
one that talks about how God doesn't require money or worldly things
from us, only that we come to him, repent, and be baptized. But I think
it will be easily resolved this week and he will receive an answer
through prayer and feel all good and be baptized this Saturday.
Please pray for him and Rayen that she may be able to stop fearing and
have the faith to move forward and that he will receive an understanding
and answer about tithing. Also we have a really promising new investigator. His name
is Andres, unfortunately he is not married and is co-living with
Marcela and they have one son together and he had one before they met.
But they both want to get baptized and married and eventually sealed in
the temple. They got all ooey gushy when they talked about being
together forever. So that was awkward. And good that they want that. Who
doesn't? An eternal family sounds sick! :) Also they are really
financially stable so we're hoping we can encourage them to get married
civilly in January. So pray for them this week that they'll have the
courage to do the things they need to do get married. They told us that
they both know that they need to do it, and to do it soon. Plus the
members love them. They're just a cute little couple that loves family
and in every prayer they say they thank God for showing them His way.
It's incredible.
My heart is filled with puro
gratitude this week. As I had some time to reflect on Christmases past
during church yesterday and seeing families all around me and feeling
guilty because I was thinking about my own huge, beautiful, amazing
family. And then I realized that even though I was thinking about them,
and treasuring them and loving them up in my heart, it wasn't
distracting me at all. But actually making me even more determined. The
love and happiness and joy that I feel in thinking about my family is
incomprehensible. Seeing my older brothers and sisters go through their
new struggles with their children and seeing the joy in these growing
families. And thinking about the Christmas traditions that they are
forming and the family bonds that are getting stronger with every
trying and bonding moment, which are almost always together. Maybe
always. And remembering Christmas mornings with my mom and dad, Mom
being so excited to read us this year's Christmas book in our new
Christmas pajamas, and Dad reading us the Christmas story and teaching
us about Christ. As much as I loved and appreciated it then, I
appreciate it even more now that I see the difference loving and
teaching and exemplary parents like mine can be. It's so amazing to see
the less active families improve their lives tenfold by having daily
family prayer and scripture study.
I love you
all! I hope you have an amazing Christmas! Enjoy time with your family!
And sometime this week, if you can, go do some service with your family.
Something my family would do on Christmas eve is go to the the nursing
home and do a musical program for them. And it was honestly fun and
building for me and my family. Service is one of the best ways to
strengthen family bonds. Even though you might not be talking to each
other as much during service, you grow closer to each other as you serve
side by side.
Merry Christmas!
¡Feliz Navidad!
Elder Robinson
0 comments:
Post a Comment