13 March 2013
This is our Charity . . .
I was so thrilled to get a baby sister! I had been wanting one for as long as I could remember. But then I wasn't the youngest anymore. I wasn't so young that I was truly jealous, but it did turn out to be unsettling. I was suddenly expected to be much more mature than I was used to. Too old to act some ways, but too young to be making certain decisions. It was a confusing time.
I loved that baby girl. I was a master at making her laugh. When I got older she was really insistent that I play with her, which I was sometimes willing to do, but not always. I lost my temper with her more than once, and sadly I would end up hitting her out of frustration. Mom punished me by making me play with her for a solid hour every time I hit her. I always ended up enjoying our time together, but it didn't take Charity long to discover that if she felt like I wasn't playing with her enough then she could goad me into being angry enough to hit her, resulting in a punishment for me that was a reward for her being deliberately irritating. I felt very vindicated later when she admitted to doing her best to get me in trouble on purpose - I knew she was, but mom thought I was crazy. :) Smart little stink.
I missed Charity when I went off to college. We had been sharing a room before that, and still did when I'd come home for the summer (I think?). She was just so smart that I really could talk to her about anything and she'd understand! She's always been very precocious, and I bragged to anyone that would listen about my younger sister who though much younger than me was smart enough to be a real friend that I could have worthwhile conversations with. And I still enjoy having conversations with her. She often surprises me with her insight and wisdom. She's got a good head on her shoulders. :)
My favorite memory with Charity was when I took her out on a formal date for a Christmas present (pictured above). On Christmas day it appeared that all she was getting from me was a card, but in the card I told her about my plans to take her on a fancy date. She loved watching me get ready for the dances at school and wanted me to make her fancy, too. We went the day after Christmas. It was so fun because I could tell that she was loving every minute of it. Totally worth it.
I love you Charity doll. You're my favorite younger sister. ;)
Posted by Raree (RAH-ree) at 2:28 PM
Labels: Allreds, Memories of March kids
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment