I LOVED my spot in the family right next to Nathan. He was
so fun, creative, energetic, smart, inventive, spontaneous, and kind. I did
fall victim to a few harmless pranks and experiments, like when he had friend
over for the night and I woke up with honey in my hair or the time I was
wearing rubber soled tennis shoes and he assured me that if I touched the
electric fence with a wet carrot he
handed me I would not get shocked and I trusted him so I did it and felt very
tricked when I got shocked however, I saw the genuinely surprised look on his
face and wasn’t to upset about it. He was very protective of me and I think
took only very calculated risks when I was involved. Like driving the go-cart
through swallow you whole sized mud holes on our way to get milk from the
dairy. I thought Nathan was fascinating, all the things he would make from
parts of stuff blew my mind. So cool! The first time I remember singing with
him was at a party he threw for all his friends (I think the whole school came)
at our Jerome house. I really liked singing with him we sang at church, and
Christmas parties all throughout high school. One ward Christmas party we danced
a west coast swing that Raymond taught us. It was so fun and I was really glad
Nathan didn’t think it was gross to dance with his sister because many brothers
would have and I really liked to dance and he was way better than any of the
other guys at it. He always treated me really good at school and at home, in
fact I was asked more than once if he was my boyfriend. J Our school took a compatibility
test for dating and it turned out I was the most compatible girl in the school
for Nathan J
Although it was still only around 70% compatible, good thing he found the 100%
girl in Amy, she’s perfect! He was quite the achiever, he had no problem
putting in way more effort than most people at improving his MANY talents. He
would drive 2 hrs from Boise to get voice lessons from the best teacher (Marty
Mead) I got to benefit from that too and tag along and usually got a Wendy’s
baked potato and frosty out of it as well. Yum! He memorized all scripture
mastery scriptures plus a few extras that our seminary program challenged us to
do to become a master scriptorian. I think there was only 2 that did it the
whole time I was in high school (and I was not the other one, but, you know we
all have our strengths) I was so impressed and proud to be related. I think
people assumed good things about me because of him. I really enjoyed our
friendship during high school, group dates, after youth dance talks over ice
cream, and watching movies, especially funny ones (he has a really fun sense of
humor and a great laugh). I remember him telling me once about feeling really
close to Heavenly Father when he prayed and it made me want to feel that
closeness with Him as well. I know I’m a better person because of Nathan. When
he went to college and on a mission I felt kind of left behind and is really
the reason I started thinking about a mission. I wanted to better understand
the experiences he was having. I knew he was the best missionary ever. We’ve
been geographically apart for most of
the time since but I LOVE getting together still with him and Amy and their
fantastic kids. I’m just really thankful to be family so that the miles don’t
separate us permanently. Happy Birthday, Brother!
0 comments:
Post a Comment