Dear family,
We had an interesting experience this week which applies to all missionary work.
I will tell you my conclusion before I tell you the story.
Conclusion: This is Heavenly Father’s work and he will help ensure the success of it as we seek his guidance.
We went to an area (Antique, pronounced anteekee), which is a District because it does not have enough priesthood leadership to be a Stake. There are 1900 members but only about 20% of them are active.
We went there to present the Self Reliance program to the District leadership. The District President and one of his counselors came and a few Relief Society Sisters, but only one member from one Branch Presidency came. The meeting went pretty well but the District President told me after the meeting that he did not know if he would be able to find a Self Reliance Specialist for the District. That is a big problem because someone from the Stake needs to help make the program available to the members. I was somewhat discouraged also because the senior couple missionaries that work in that area said that they did not think anything would be done; that is just the way it is in that area.
I felt that the program really needs to work at least on some level for the members in that area. I thought that even if one Branch would do the program that maybe other Branches would do it, too.
We had planned to visit a Branch on the next day, Sunday. The Branch that was in the same town seemed nice enough but we did not feel great about the Branch President. We prayed that we would be able to choose which Branch to visit. We both felt that we should visit the Hamtic Branch, which was about 8K away and was on our way home. When we arrived at the Branch building it was about 10 minutes before the Sacrament was to start. The Branch Presidency greeted us with gladness and wanted to change their program to have us to both speak .We were not hoping to speak but we were glad to do it. We felt inspired in the messages we were able to give and the Branch leaders and members are very interested in participating in the Self Reliance Program.
“… I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.”
I am not saying that the leaders in the District are deficient, but sometimes they need to be shown the way to help them succeed in their callings. Maybe the example of this Branch will show them the way...
Well, have a great week.
I love you, Dad
"Zone Activity"
0 comments:
Post a Comment