Established August 1970

27 May 2024

We've been in Nauvoo more than a month now

I saw Dr Grant, a chiropractor in the morning of Monday and he showed Ray where to push when I kick my leg. It has helped the pain a lot. I haven’t had ibuprofen now for probably 3 days. We go shopping usually on Mondays unless we have training. But after shopping, we went to Groberg’s place right next to us and the other four housemates came and we played Buzzword. We laughed and had such a fun time.

Tuesday I couldn’t find my recommend ๐Ÿ˜ณ. Someone found it after we were in the temple on the bathroom counter where I left it Saturday.  I’m glad I didn’t know I had lost it until Tuesday morning or I would have been worried about it all weekend.  Both legs hurt today but I can concentrate and walk. We, of course rode our bike—just four miles.

Wednesday:  Grandma Beckstead birthday. We had quite a celebration but not any good food and my lemon custard was made from half lemon Greek yogurt, half vanilla ice cream, melted, mixed, refrozen. Best I could do.  Ruth Thompson was here again, so we fed her (that is a Grandma Beckstead memory); she fed everyone who walked in her door and some who didn’t that were tramps in the alley.  We also went up late to Whittiers apartment, directly above ours, to celebrate her birthday with a gluten free cake mix her husband made with happy birthday candles all across it.  They also invited Ruth to join and a widower across the grass. We laughed and laughed.

Thursday we picked up mail on our bike ride!  It was a fresh cut bouquet and card from our own Nathan and Amy and also a mystery package—-a white shawl for the temple!  I get miserably cold in the endowment room and we serve there next week.  So happy for Sarah picking up on my misery ๐Ÿ˜’and sending me that๐Ÿ˜˜. With the turtleneck cover and the sweater, I’ll survive next week.  Thank you all for taking care of us from a distance:  April mowed our lawn, Charity keeps sending us pictures of our mail, Rachael sends newsy letters, Angela sent a beautiful card, Emily and Andrew continue to let us talk with Ossian on FaceTime, — what a great family. And many of you have answered requests for recipes.  Thank you all!  After temple time, we met a couple from Cedar City (he was another classmate my junior year) Evan and his wife who moved their records here for six months so they could serve in this temple and we went to the Red Front to eat and they came to our place after to play Rummicube which we learned from our Cedar City friends in the Philippines. We all know each other. We had fun. They left after she won the game and then Whittiers and Groberg’s came over and we played Fast-track in between laughing so much. 

Friday rained all day; it was the first time we were not able to bike ride.  We went to the temple at 1:50 for our late night shift. At chair 2/1 a girl who came to the temple when we were at the recommend desk, then came to initiatory when I was there and then on her way out, she stopped and asked where I was from “Bountiful, Utah”. Next question, “Do you know Ray Robinson?”๐Ÿ˜‚. That’s my son.  Then she told me her family had been in the pageant some years ago and how her family loved the Robinson Family and I asked what her maiden name was.  King, and followed that information with “they won’t remember us.”  I said, “they surely will!”  I talked with Raymond a few days later; yep they remembered them and texted them right away,  so many fun experiences here.  We got home from the temple a little after 9:00pm

Saturday we rode four miles again on the bike; stopped at the Tin Shop that was the Stoddards in the olden days.  We are wondering if that is the family of Permelia Stoddard, a pioneer who crossed the plains and married a Robinson.  We haven’t had time to investigate yet so if anyone finds out before we do, let us know.  We went to our temple shift at 12:30; finished by 5:30 and made it to the “Sunset on the Mississippi” show and President and Sister Church moved to sit by us.  That was fun.  Last thing at night, I started my sourdough bread bubbling over night.

Sunday Ray taught the elders quorum lesson:  “words matter” by Elder Rasband and “Bridging the two great commandments” by Elder Stevenson.  Our ward now starts at 10:30 with ss/rs/eq then 11:30 starts sacrament meeting.  They added a “visitors ward” at 8:00 and a single adult ward at 12:00 and the second Nauvoo ward at 2:30-4:30. Men were coming up to Ray telling him how much they enjoyed the lesson.  Amy sent a video of Boyd and Ava singing in sacrament meeting, “I Know That My Redeemer Lives”. If anyone wants to share it with their children, text Amy. It was very inspiring and I played it for our neighbors, the Groberg’s and their daughters children 6 of them. They didn’t move or make a noise.  It was very powerful and so I added my testimony, I too know that my Redeemer lives!

That’s our week.  I hope we all get more from the other missionaries out; they are more interesting.  We love you all. Thanks for doing so much for us!

0 comments: