I can't remember where I left off last month and I'm too lazy to find the email to check. So there you are future posterity, your mom/grandma is lazy. So I will start with the street party in celebration of the Queen's Birthday. It was a ward party and they really went all out with classic British games, and timeline of the Queens life, and a cute photo booth.
My first "day off" here I took the train to London to see the Tower of London. Miraculously I made it safely there and back. I got rather lost in the beginning but some sweet older lady stopped me and directed me correctly. People are so thoughtful here. Every time we go out someone stops us and offers to help haul the stroller up the stairs or something of that nature. Just helpful, kind people. The Tower of London was pretty cool. My favorite part was the Crown Jewels. It was just so fascinating the history behind them and watching the film of Queen Elizabeth's coronation. There was a lot of interesting similarities to religious ceremonies. Overall a really intriguing experience. It made me want to learn more about British history. Pretty gruesome stuff with all the executions and things. Cole has warmed up to me now so that is pretty fun. He reaches for me sometimes or just comes over to give me hugs. He's a sweet little thing.
I've had more time for reading than I've had in ages so since I have been here I have read The Scarlet Pimpernel, My Name is Asher Lev, and North and South. I went into London and did a House of Parliament tour. It was interesting to learn how their government runs and to see all the historic art and architecture. Then I took a long walk past the London Eye to get to a place for dinner that was near the Mermaid Theatre, where I met Amy and India to watch the BYU Ballroom Dance team perform. Kind of ironic I had to come to England to do that but it was a pretty fun show. Priscilla Hobbs was in it, so that was cool too. We ended up having to RUN to catch the next train home or we would've had to wait an hour. Thankfully we made it and we got home around midnight. I've had the opportunity to do some last minute filling in for callings since the ward is small so everyone has several callings. One week Amy was teaching Relief Society but also supposed to play piano for primary and Nathan had to make a guest appearance at Primary so I got to play the piano. That was pretty fun. A couple of Sundays ago I ended up with an hour's notice to teach Young Women's. That was good to remind myself how to teach on the fly haha.
Last week I got to traveling trips, so, bonus! I went to London and saw Matilda on stage and wandered around a plaza/shopping area called Covent Garden. That was pretty fun, probably my favorite trip to London yet. Then we went with Amy's cousin and family on the weekend to Stonehenge and Bath.
This week I went with a girl that has been here nannying to the Cliffs of Dover, Dover Castle and the Canterbury Cathedral. It was pretty fun! Canterbury Cathedral was pretty amazing, I thought it was worth the trip. We went to Evensong there so we got to hear the singing echo around those high ceilings. Awesome. Saturday we all went to Hever Castle, the childhood home of Anne Boleyn. That was probably my favorite place so far, I thought it was pretty cool. I stayed with the kids Saturday night while Nathan an Amy went on a date and they were actually really good. I bribed them with chocolate. :) So that's my life! Pretty amazing, I'm super spoiled. Love you all!
Charity
11 July 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment