February 16, 2015
Well, I will just start by saying that nothing has been as bad as I expected. Still hard, but not as bad as I thought. So that's always good! We live in a mansion. Well that's what Sister Tu'atonga says. It's actually not really what I would call a mansion, but it is a big fancy house and in their backyard they have a pool and two trampolines and it's really fancy. I now sleep in a full-size bed. I'm getting super spoiled! I am simultaneously starving because it is a pain and takes forever to take food from our tiny fridge upstairs to the kitchen downstairs and I feel uncomfortable in someone else's fancy kitchen. But it's probably a good thing that I am not eating very much because I can't bike AT ALL so hopefully it balances out. :)
El Dorado feels like a foreign land haha. It's just a million bazillion trees and if you hike through the trees a ways you can find some houses. Everyone lives in gated communities so you drive through the gate (which has a gate code) and then several miles away is the gate at the "back" of the community. We live in...Greenstone? I think that's what ours is called. It is about 10-15 minutes to drive out of our "neighborhood" community place. It's super hilly and the roads are narrow but I am getting better at driving on them. It's hard in the dark because there are no street lamps but I am getting better. Fortunately Sister Tu'atonga knows the area really well so she navigates. Not a day goes by that I don't almost hit and kill a squirrel or rabbit. There is wildlife everywhere! And deer. More than in Bountiful, even. It's rather charming. The house we live in is way up on a hill so we have a nice view and the stars at night are so bright and clear! It's super pretty. So that's all great. Our ward and Stake are very missionary minded. The first night we had a missionary "transfer" dinner where the stake leadership and the ward missionaries have dinner with our whole El Dorado zone. They really are very focused on missionary work so that is really cool and exciting. People here LOVE the missionaries. Everyone in the ward was very anxious to meet me. I'm not sure I reciprocated the excitement that well because I was feeling seriously shell shocked but hopefully I did ok with meeting everyone.
On Sunday we taught Gospel Principles, and Young Women's. Our lesson in Young Women's was AWFUL. It made no sense at all. We were just everywhere. No unity in our teaching. It was bad. Sister Tu'atonga thought it went well. I'm not really sure what to do. But I will make it work! We will learn to teach well together! Somehow. Next Sunday we are giving talks. So I am now just going to plan on speaking in church about every six weeks because it seems to be the thing to do to ask the missionaries to speak.
Anyway, that's about it. It's really beautiful here. I'm homesick for Galt, but I'm sure it will feel like home here before too long. This is a really boring email so sorry. Hopefully I'll come up with something interesting to talk about next week! I'm attaching pictures of where we are staying. There will be more next time, but this is what I have so far. Have a good week!
Sister Robinson
On Sunday we taught Gospel Principles, and Young Women's. Our lesson in Young Women's was AWFUL. It made no sense at all. We were just everywhere. No unity in our teaching. It was bad. Sister Tu'atonga thought it went well. I'm not really sure what to do. But I will make it work! We will learn to teach well together! Somehow. Next Sunday we are giving talks. So I am now just going to plan on speaking in church about every six weeks because it seems to be the thing to do to ask the missionaries to speak.
Anyway, that's about it. It's really beautiful here. I'm homesick for Galt, but I'm sure it will feel like home here before too long. This is a really boring email so sorry. Hopefully I'll come up with something interesting to talk about next week! I'm attaching pictures of where we are staying. There will be more next time, but this is what I have so far. Have a good week!
Sister Robinson
0 comments:
Post a Comment