Established August 1970

26 July 2012

July Heroes - by Julie

Happy birthday yesterday, Andrew John! It was fun to think of you having biscuits and chocolate gravy with all those youth! Wish we could have gotten in on that! So fun. My first memory of you was wondering how such a little body could have such big eyes?! I still wonder! You made it into the family just six weeks before I did and you looked so handsome at our wedding in your little tuxedo! I feel privileged to have witnessed your growing up years (not usual for a sister-in-law). It was incredible how everyone gathered around you and loved you and hung on your every word and chuckle. And you are incredible in how you have loved us back. You are so good-natured and fun to have around. I knew you would do a great job on stage in Nauvoo, but knew you would be even more amazing off-stage, reaching out and making everyone feel included. That is how you have always been with us. And we couldn't ask for a better uncle--you've made life so fun for each of my children--from Susan, who thinks you are her best friend, down to Joseph, who thinks you are the ultimate party! I will forever appreciate how you have helped care for them at every get together we've ever had. You are a giant and I've always looked up to you; and now we all do--quite literally!

Sarah, happy birthday today! Sixteen years ago, Ray was so excited for me to meet you, and you were just as charming and pretty and soft as he had described. One of the things that struck me the most was the music in your voice; I still love to hear you speak or sing, especially to your children. And your dancing had (has!) the same ease and musicality. You were magical with children, first as a sister and aunt to DJ and Susan, and now with your own children. You are so clear and focused on the preeminence of your role as a mother, and make it your greatest priority, above all other distractions. I am sure your children will ever see you as the queen you are.

And Tim, I think we first met you out on Glendale--you were on a boat with Rand and rescued us when our boat quit and we were stranded. You were a blast to watch waterski (still are)--cruising back and forth across the wake with such energy and abandon. You are tireless in using your energy to take care of everyone around you, ever ready with a joke or kind word or act of service. Ray and I can't think of a more important calling than being a seminary teacher and we can't think of anyone who would be better at it. I think Sarah said it best when she said of you, "He's good because he really cares."

July is a month to celebrate heroes! Thanks to each of you for being heroes in our family!

Love, Julie

0 comments: