Established August 1970

27 June 2012

Girls marry men like their fathers

A friend of mine recently told me after I told her that Kate was her daddy's girl, "Now, no pressure to Dave, but studies show that the largest predicting factor in the kind of man a woman will marry is her father and how he treats her." Not that I have anything to worry about. I married a man a lot like my own dad, and in all of the best ways. One of the best ways that they are similar is that they are both worthy priesthood holders. It's been a wonderful blessing in my life. I often ache for sisters in my various wards that for whatever reason do not have a priesthood holder in their homes.
One of my first memories of gaining testimony of priesthood power happened when I was . . . 9 or 10 maybe? My baptism and confirmation were wonderful, but this experience was different. We were visiting our Christensen cousins in Nevada. I remember those kids seeming to have an affinity for karate/martial arts types of things. I was downstairs in their home doing whatever I thought karate was with Katie and Peter when one of them accidentally smacked me in the face really hard with their forearm. It hurt quite a bit. My jaw felt particularly wrong and it didn't feel better after a couple of hours like I would have expected a minor injury to.
Mom suggested that I could have a priesthood blessing. I quickly agreed to that plan and we asked dad to give me a blessing. I imagine Uncle Jim participated. I don't at all remember the words of the blessing, but I do remember that within minutes the throbbing subsided. It was evening by that time, so I went to bed soon after. When I woke up in the morning the pain was gone completely.
I'm profoundly grateful for a father (and mother) who honored and respected priesthood power, and who lived and continues to live in such a way that he stands ready at any moment to use that power to bless his own family as well as other families. I'm also grateful that I married a man just like him in that regard.

0 comments: