When Dave proposed to me we had been unofficially engaged for three weeks. He wanted to make his proposal a complete surprise, but I had already told him my decision (we had been praying about it) and he hadn't told me his . . . I was impatient and insecure not knowing exactly where he was at (especially after I had revealed where I was at), so I basically teased it out of him. We were both really busy with school and work - Dave had a hard time finding a minute to go ring shopping, and then finding a little bit of time to get together for him to propose was also hard. As my story makes pretty clear - between my memory and my schedule it was HARD to get it officially done. Just to explain some of the conflicts, I was involved in a dance project, and being a guest performer for a piece in a different dance company. The names mentioned were the directors of those things (Pat's a man, just to be clear). This post is taken almost verbatim from my journal, dated 12 November 2004:
We [Dave and I] were supposed to meet at 2:30 yesterday and I thought that I had until 5 when I have rehearsal with Caroline. But I had forgotten until 11 a.m. yesterday that I had showings for Dancensemble [that afternoon, too]. Pat insisted on going in show order, and the piece I'm in is in the second half of the show. Dave and I met at 2:30 and I told him [the situation] and he seemed more distressed than he usually is by that kind of info, so I knew something was up. [I did try to get Pat to change things up after I'd met up with Dave and observed his unusual reaction to my schedule change, but I couldn't explicitly tell Pat that I thought my boyfriend was going to propose. What if I was wrong? Not sure that Pat would have been sympathetic, anyway.]
Anyway, so since I had at least forty minutes until I had to go [for showings], Dave and I drove around for awhile just talking, and wishing we had more uninterrupted time. I felt so bad - he let me know that he had planned a picnic or something and I was just like, "Can you consolidate your plans into an hour?" So Dave dropped me back off, I performed my piece and I finally got to leave at 4. We went to Wendy's for some food . . . we took the food to Rock Canyon Park and found a picnic table. Dave had a CD player with him and he played The Last of the Mohicans soundtrack (which was not his original intention, but the CD he wanted wasn't with him). I thought it was good. So we were just eating and talking by ourselves there.
Then this cute little family showed up with their model airplanes and soccer ball. They were cute. I totally suspected a proposal was coming at that point and so I wondered how that was going to work with the family there. [Kinda wondered if Dave would just abandon his plans] They left eventually though.
Dave changed the CD to play a song . . . called The Luckiest by Ben Folds. He just held me and looked at me sweetly during the song. It was tender. Then when the song was finished he fished in his coat pocket and got down on his knee and said, "Will you marry me?" and I said, "Yes!" then he put the ring on my finger, a ring that he chose himself.
I needed to go to rehearsal, but had to call the parents before I went so they could be the first to hear the
official news. I was subsequently late for rehearsal, but it was super fun to make the announcement. All of the dancers seriously swarmed me for a group hug. :) Also, I specifically chose to post my entry today because it marks the anniversary of mine and Dave's first kiss - not only with each other, but
ever for both of us. Eleven years ago. Angela's birthday helped me remember. haha Happy birthday, Angela!
0 comments:
Post a Comment