What a great start to the week: It was fast Sunday, which I look forward to these days. It's a really good time for me to repent, to become more humble and teachable. "More Holiness Give Me".
At church we always have visitors since the Tabernacle is in the middle of Honolulu. It's great.
Well, I introduced myself to the Campbell couple from San Diego, just visiting for the week.
I showed them to Sunday School, then Brother Campbell asked Dad if he would give him a blessing, as a problem had just come up with his arms and he was concerned. So Dad connected with the Elder's quorum president and we went into a room after church and the service was done. I then invited them to dinner at our place. We weren't expecting company so it was like "feeding the 5,000 on 2 very small chicken thighs and potatoes" but it worked. We had a wonderful visit with them. His first wife died and this is his second marriage. They have had ten years together. He is originally from Canada. Such nice people. She said she had always dreamed someone would invite them to dinner when they would go out of town and go to church, so I fulfilled her dreams, she said. It was just as great for us. We drove them back to their hotel as they did not have a car. They came to church by bus, I think.
Anyway, it was a great start.
Monday I sent out mail, made and remade and remade shadow boxes for the going home gifts for the missionaries. I was looking for a scripture about prophecy as it was discussed in Sunday School (how to receive revelation—Alma 17:2,3), but found one I needed right now. Alma 26:27 ..."when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold the Lord comforted us, ...and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give you success." I don't always see what success the Lord has for me. I guess this is where the patience and trust in the Lord comes in. The song "More Holiness Give Me" has been in my heart and mind today. I filled "Trunky Packets" for the visitor's center missionaries. They have instructions for the departing missionaries plus some papers for each missionary to fill out like "Most Spiritual Experience on your mission", "Testimony", "Life's Lesson", Travel Itinerary, physical tb test for after mission, farewell agenda (which includes a temple trip, PCC show and farewell testimony meeting).
After work, we walked to Safeway and back. It turned out to be too far both ways; I had shin splints and spent the night in the tub. How thankful I am that we have a tub.
Thursday I had my most embarrassing moment here so far. The President had called for a mission wide call. We were picking up bicycles and beds at the missionaries near Kaneohe, so we needed to listen on the road. Well, it was discovered that we had not been told about the "Messenger" which is where we get out information for the mission. The office lady, Sister Evans showed me how to get on, the AP(assistant to the President) invited me to the group. So at the appointed time I got on, it said to "tap" to get on, so I did—nothing happened, so I tapped again, and again. Then Sister Olsen from the office called and said to "hang up I was interrupting the whole meeting". It was ringing every time I tapped but not getting me on. Later I found out that I was suppose to dial a certain number and then put in a code to get on. Well, so much for not having all the information. And, of course, the message all the missionaries saw was "Robinson's are calling" 3X's. I was uninvited:(.
Ray saw the eye doctor on Friday and it looks like it is no longer bleeding and the tear has adhered to the retina. He will go back in 3 months to have it checked again. After that we went to a 4:00 session at the temple. One road was closed because of flooding, I think so we were rerouted a longer way but it was a pretty drive and we had left in plenty of time so we made it to the session. I even had time to do two initiatories before the session.
Our day off is Saturday but it seems that is still a busy day for Ray. We don't mind. We didn't come on a mission for a "day off". We took a nice ride to pick up and take bikes, helmets, and locks (combination: 1129:)) to the elders. We stopped and looked at scenic sights along the way. That night we had dinner with Sister Wang and Sister Thomas who serve in our Manoa Ward at "Happy Days" Chinese restaurant. Brother Matabele, 84 years old on May 9, Tongan, moved here when he was 32. He had 6 children with his first wife who died of cancer; then he married his second wife and had 3 more children with her. He has 9 children and 39 grandchildren—ahead of us by 1 each time. He has a lot of interesting stories. So he likes to feed us at a restaurant the second Saturday of each month. Now that is something to look forward to:)—such a nice man. He's been bishop 3X's. His second wife is Japanese, Filipino and a convert. She played in Hawaii 5 O, the long playing tv series. It will be fun to know them better.
Sunday was a beautiful Sabbath. Three really good talks. "Rejoice in our every day",
Oxen yoke: one oxen is me; one oxen is Jesus. The yoke is the atonement and the resurrection. I cannot bear it alone. I cannot change my environment but I can change me. "Come unto Jesus" was the break song. 3rd verse: Come unto Jesus; He'll surely hear you, If you in meekest plead for His love. Oh, know you not that angels are near you ...? What a message. The meeting was for me. The other talk I got a copy of. The first story took place in Klein Germany Jan 2, 1975 with the piano soloist Keith Jarrett. A 17 year old Vera Brandeis was the concert promoter. It was a sold-out concert but there was some confusion and the piano he was to play on was not there; only a small baby grand that was used for practice purposes. Jarrett adapted to this unfavorable situation by sticking to the more soothing notes of the middle keys and he compensated to the quiet nature of the smaller piano by standing up and pounding down on the keys. The recording taken that night remains Jarrett's most popular piece and became both the bestselling solo jazz and solo piano albums in history.
The second story was about the London Underground tunnels that people depend on for commuting to and from work. In Jan 2014 a strike went on by the London Underground staff and it was closed forcing thousands of British citizens to adopt alternate routes. An economist discovered that the commuters in the thousands adopted new routes to work that were more optimal because they were forced from their comfort zones. The third story was about Peter walking on the water and as long as he looked on Jesus, he could do it; but when he lost his focus on Jesus, looked at the boisterous wind, he was afraid.
Disorder can transform our lives. Not that we try to create chaos but as we look to Christ, He can bless us to be transformed. Kind of like the trimming of trees and such. He is building out of us a mansion, not a little hut. We must pass through adversity to become like Him.
Back to the beginning: "Rejoice in our every day!" May God help us to become like Him.
Love to each of you. And thanks for everyone being present today for the "phone call". It feeds our souls to be in contact with you. Love Sister T Robinson, Mother Teresa:)
Get Outlook for iOS
0 comments:
Post a Comment